2 July 2019
Department of Economics and Finance launched the first Smart U-life Personal Finance Planning Competition from March to May 2019. The objective of this competition is to encourage high school students to learn and plan ahead well before starting their U-life and be the smart tertiary students in personal finance matters. High school students (on team basis) were invited to join the competition. 14 financial planning proposals submitted by 11 secondary schools were assessed by three professional judges:
- Mr Henry Chan, Centre Supervisor, TWGHs Healthy Budgeting Family Debt Counselling Centre
- Mr Peter Yau, Manager, Investor and Financial Education Council (IFEC)(formerly Investor Education Centre, SFC)
- Professor Andy Cheng, Associate Professor, Department of Economics and Finance, Hang Seng University of Hong Kong
An award presentation ceremony was held on 2 July 2019 to present the awards to the winning teams from the following secondary schools:
- Champion: Kowloon Sam Yuk Secondary School
- First Runner-up: Christian Alliance SW Chan Memorial College
- Second Runner-up: YPICA Lee Lim Ming College
- Merits prizes: (1) Henrietta Secondary School; (2) KFYG Lee Shau Kee College
Dr Kenneth Chung, Acting Head of Department of Economics and Finance, HSUHK officiated at the award presentation ceremony and said, “The Competition is an extension of our department’s and HSUHK’s commitment in promoting financial literacy in Hong Kong after being one of the supporters for the Hong Kong Money Month 2019 (https://www.moneymonth.hk/en/hkmm-supporter/index.html) co-ordinated by the Investor and Financial Education Council (formerly Investor Education Centre) and supported by various stakeholders such as the Financial Services and the Treasury Bureau, the Hong Kong Monetary Authority and the Securities and Futures Commission. The winning teams demonstrated the good effort in information collection and the effective use of financial planning tools. Creativity and feasibility of the proposals are of good quality according to the judges.”
The representatives of the winning teams also shared their winning reflections:
此外，在籌備比賽和撰寫報告過程中，我們除了學會資料搜集、 數據分析及財務運算等外，成員在團隊合作的環境中也能改進溝通能力、 時間管理等技巧和建立團隊精神。而整個理財籌劃比賽就使我們建立正確的理財觀念和態度。」
「在這個比賽裏面， 我們通過網上問卷、建議書，了解到大專生的理財狀況， 這樣不單讓我們了解到真實的現況， 同時為我們日後的理財方面的認知有一定的基礎，好讓我們避免建議書上的理財陷阱。
Congratulations to the winners of the competition!
The winning teams received awards from Dr Kenneth Chung, Acting Head of Department of Economics and Finance, HSUHK.